Friday, January 16, 2015

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For 1-14-2015

Marvel's SPIDER-VERSE #2
I have opted to collect all remaining parts of the SPIDER-VERSE series. I couldn't collect them all along with my regular orders, because it would just be too damned expensive. In this issue, we get more glimpses of more spideys from more universes. One is an anarchist opposing an oppressive Norman Osborne, run government, another is Mexican and the entire story was in spanish, and yet another was in a video-game universe. While all of this could be tedious, it isn't. The artists in particular do a good job of exploring the implications of these various worlds. This whole thing just becomes fodder for pure imagination, and sometimes that can be fun. It is certainly fun here. Some of the stories are actually riveting, and others are just plain funny. Overall, this was a good issue, of what has been a pretty good series.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's CONSTANTINE #21
I pick up CONSTANTINE intermittently, and I'm glad I picked this issue up. Here Constantine has joined forces with another version of himself from Earth-2, a world he is trying to escape. He is again caught between his better angels and lesser demons, and as happens occasionally, he is overcome by the latter. There is a scene of betrayal that I won't reveal too much about to avoid spoilers, but it works perfectly. Much of the book felt like constipated writing, but that one scene made it all worth it.
Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 5 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Marvel's AVENGERS #40
I picked this book up, and it is the middle of a storyline so I can't really do it justice. Sometimes picking up a random issue is okay when it comes to the story, but it wasn't here. So I'm not judging the story in this review. There were some great scenes, and some great dialogue. I probably wouldn't pick it up if I had it to do over again, but that is no criticism of the book, really.
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's THANOS VS HULK #2
I've been waiting for this one for a while. Starlin is the only person who should be allowed to write Thanos stories. I am so happy, too, that we are getting more and more Pip the Troll. He's one of my favorite 'comic relief' super heroes. Thanos has long avoided a fight with the Hulk, but here it finally happens...sort of. It all takes place in this kind of virtual reality, so the real fight hasn't happened yet. But it was good at wetting my whistle. The story telling here is off-beat and I like that. I'm excited to see where it goes.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment