Friday, January 2, 2015

Does Not Compute

One thing I've noticed on Twitter is just how widespread the belief is that God sends suffering for some greater good or purpose. This is treated not just as a particular theological reflection upon the Bible, but an absolute doctrine, as central as the Resurrection or the Incarnation. I can only say to this: "What the heck?". There can be no doubt that this is found in the Bible, but the Bible is relatively INconsistent on the reason for, and cause of, suffering. I think when you look back and see the entire movement of scripture this attitude starts to look rather UNbiblical, or rather the result of an unthoughtful examination of scripture. I just don't get it, cannot abide it, and it flies in the face of everything I think Jesus was all about. Check, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment