Monday, January 26, 2015

Battlestar Galactica Bible Study Week: 13



Season 4- Episode: “Six of One”

2 Samuel 12:1-7
The Lord sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.
“Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.”
David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die! He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”
Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man!

Jeremiah 20:7-18
You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived;
    you overpowered me and prevailed.
I am ridiculed all day long;
    everyone mocks me.
Whenever I speak, I cry out
    proclaiming violence and destruction.
So the word of the Lord has brought me
    insult and reproach all day long.
But if I say, “I will not mention his word
    or speak anymore in his name,”
his word is in my heart like a fire,
    a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
    indeed, I cannot.
10 I hear many whispering,
    “Terror on every side!
    Denounce him! Let’s denounce him!”
All my friends
    are waiting for me to slip, saying,
“Perhaps he will be deceived;
    then we will prevail over him
    and take our revenge on him.”
11 But the Lord is with me like a mighty warrior;
    so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail.
They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced;
    their dishonor will never be forgotten.
12 Lord Almighty, you who examine the righteous
    and probe the heart and mind,
let me see your vengeance on them,
    for to you I have committed my cause.
13 Sing to the Lord!
    Give praise to the Lord!
He rescues the life of the needy
    from the hands of the wicked.
14 Cursed be the day I was born!
    May the day my mother bore me not be blessed!
15 Cursed be the man who brought my father the news,
    who made him very glad, saying,
    “A child is born to you—a son!”
16 May that man be like the towns
    the Lord overthrew without pity.
May he hear wailing in the morning,
    a battle cry at noon.
17 For he did not kill me in the womb,
    with my mother as my grave,
    her womb enlarged forever.
18 Why did I ever come out of the womb
    to see trouble and sorrow
    and to end my days in shame?

Ezekiel 2:1-3:4
 He said to me, “Son of man, stand up on your feet and I will speak to you.” As he spoke, the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.
He said: “Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have been in revolt against me to this very day. The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says.’ And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious people—they will know that a prophet has been among them. And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or be terrified by them, though they are a rebellious people. You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious people; open your mouth and eat what I give you.”
Then I looked, and I saw a hand stretched out to me. In it was a scroll, 10 which he unrolled before me. On both sides of it were written words of lament and mourning and woe.
And he said to me, “Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the people of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat.
Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.
He then said to me: “Son of man, go now to the people of Israel and speak my words to them.

Ezekiel 33

 Reflect on the Bible passages in light of the film.

What conflicts do we see in the Bible passages between the various leaders of Israel?

Compare this to the conflicts in the film.

How does Cara try to appeal to Laura to help her get back to Earth?

Does Laura owe Cara this? Why or why not?

Why does Cara try to get Laura to kill her?

How does Laura respond to these arguments?

Why is Jeremiah angry at God?

Why is Cara acting so crazy?

How do we see prophets ‘acting crazy’ in the Bible passages?

How might this have affected people’s ability to trust them?

Do you think people should trust Cara? Why or why not?

Why do you think God put them in this position?

What has Cara’s vision cost her?

What has Jeremiah’s vision cost him?

Why won’t Cara give up on her vision?

Why won’t Jeremiah?

What are the arguments around the Hybrids all about?

What are the messages she gives out?

Compare this to the nature of Ezekiel’s messages.

How do the Final Five function among the Cylons? What are the Final Five to them?

What does Cavil want to do to the Raiders?

How does this split the Cylons and why does it split them this way?

What is the substance of the conversation between the Final Five?

Reflect upon the conversation between Admiral Adama and Cara.

What does Sharon Boomer do for Cavil and what does this mean for the Cylons?

What is the irony in the conversation over the models and their lack of individuality?

How has Gaius’ vision changed?

Why do you think it has changed this way?

What has become of Gaius’ group?

How does Tory try to reach out to Gaius?

How does he turn it around on her?

Reflect on the issue of miracles in light of the episode.

How does Laura explain what is ‘really going on’ to Adama? How does Adama climb into Laura’s head? Reflect on all 
this.

How do the people try to appeal to Ezekiel in Ezekiel 33?

How does God turn this around on them?

Reflect on the causes and beginning of the Cylon Civil War.

How did the prophets exemplify Gaius’ ‘one essential truth’?

Reflect on Gaius and Tori’s relationship.

Reflect on Gaius expressing his love for God in the middle of their physical intimacy.

Why do you think Adama gives Cara the chance to find Earth on her own?

What is the substance of their conversation about death? 

No comments:

Post a Comment