Thursday, September 4, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For 9-3-2014

Marvel's SPIDER-MAN 2099
The pace of this issue was a little frenetic and that detracted from the overall story. But overall it was still a good issue. Why does this Spider-Man so much more LIKE Spider-Man to me than Peter Parker right now? I think it is just because they haven't done as much with the character. It feels like more of a clear palate from which to work. I hear some people are saying the same about the current Ultimate Spider-Man and I may have to check him out now. I especially liked the cover art here. Overall, I am really enjoying this book.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's BATMAN '66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET #4
Kevin Smith is really delivering some surprises with this book, and I love the way it is all coming off. One difficulty the writer faces here is that Green Hornet and Batman '66 are such different characters. He handles it by being true to both, and just letting the differences play out in a common world. There was some genuine angst and drama here as well as some campy hilarity, and it is all mixed together but seems to flow well. This was my favorite issue of the series so far.
Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

BOOM! Comics' BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA #4
Well we are coming full circle here, with Jack Burton's original enemies from the film returning to the scene. I have to say I didn't like that as much as the writers probably thought people like me would. I want to see Jack do NEW adventures with NEW adversaries. That is what made the book so engaging so far. Still, the dialogue was funny and there were some off-roads from the main plot that made the issue engaging.
Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's EARTH 2"FUTURE'S END" #1 (One-Shot)
Okay, I have not been following the most recent world-spanning crossover DC event FUTURE'S END, so that probably handicaps my analysis here. But I really didn't like this issue. The pacing seemed all off and I didn't know what the hell was going on. Nothing felt like it flowed, and the story telling was just odd. The art remains strong, but everything else completely missed the mark. There were almost none of the characters I really care about, and no advancement of the stories I care about. So, yea, I'm not happy about this one. And in a book series that is usually one of DC's best, it is a real downer.
Storyline: 2 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 1.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 2 Stars

Marvel's ROCKET RACCOON #3
This book is really entertaining, and even though this issue isn't as strong as the last two, I still liked it quite a bit. The first half is better than the second half, with Rocket escaping the armada of his ex-girlfriends. The dialogue dragged a bit in parts, but there was still enough comedy to make most of it entertaining. I highly recommend this comic book, though you need to go back and start with the last two issues.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment