Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reflections On Passing Scenes



God I love this episode. I especially recommend the end. Data is no doubt one of the most profound characters in television history. It is one sign of the general blindness of the academy that Brent Spiner never got an Emmy for his work on this show. In this episode, the full depth of that character is on display. All the questions that come along with a human-like android: "what is a soul?", "what makes us human", etc, are here. There is this powerful moment at the end where Lall thanks him for her life. It always brings me to tears. Isn't that really what we all want? To see the face of the ground of being and simply say 'thank you'? When she professes her love and he says "I wish I could feel it with you." There is something profound here too. When people are grieving, when they suffer, this is what I think sometimes. I wish I could feel it with you. We can always know for sure that we are

never alone in any feeling, any experience, though. For God does feel it with us.









These two must be watched together, for the first clarifies the second. 1500 miles of shit and coming out clean the other time...indeed, the Shawshank Redemption is aptly named. Isn't this life? Isn't this life with Christ? Isn't this the miracle. Additionally, Andy's ability to give hope to others makes him something of a Christ figure. Come to think about it, I could add him to my list of pop culture Christ figures. This is what God did for us. He crawled through the filth so we don't have to. He made a way there was no way. He took the unclean and made us clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment