Friday, August 8, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For 8-6-2014

DC's SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN Annual #1
As much as dropping in and out of the DOOMED storyline has been bothering me in the extreme, this particular issue was good, very good. There was just a lot to like here. The dialogue flowed very well, and there was some good character development here, especially regarding Wonder Woman. I loved the way Lana Lang and Steel were presented. I want more Steel. John Henry Irons was a longtime favorite of mine, and I lamented how the character kind of fell away before New 52. To see him revived with such effectiveness really brings me joy. So while I'm not a huge fan of the overall storyline, the execution here was strong.
Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's DEADPOOL: DRACULA'S GAUNTLET #5
I have to admit that this issue was not as funny nor as engaging as some of the earlier issues, but it still had some laugh-out-loud parts to it. I am really enjoying this mini-series overall. What dragged this individual issue down a might is bad pacing. It all really felt TOO frenetic and too rushed. It made the story hard to follow and so the gags didn't have the impact they should've. Still, a good (though not great) issue in a great series.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's EARTH 2 #26
This book also felt a little rushed, and that led to it also feeling a little anti-climactic. That is kind of sad, given the epic scale of this storyline which has dominated this book for the entirety of the last year. Still, there was some great stuff here. The visuals, including the paneling and the art, were incredible. Additionally, I like the way they concluded the 'evil Superman' storyline, and the completion of the rise of the new Superman. I am so happy about the role Alan Scott played. Despite some mis-steps at the beginning (I think the whole gay thing ended up having no substance for the character, and was really just a publicity stunt), and his disappearance in the middle of this storyline, I really am enjoying his role in this book, and he continues to be my favorite Green Lantern. I loved the ending, and hope they go the direction it looks like they are going to go with the book from now on.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars


DC's BATMAN '66 VS GREEN HORNET #3
There was an interesting reflection in this issue on the darker aspects of the more modern Joker. The Joker and General Gumm force Robin and Kato to fight to the death. It seems like something from a darker comic book, but it is handled with a strange comic touch that I love. I also enjoyed the uneasy alliance between Batman and Green Hornet as they sought to save their respective sidekicks. But the real kicker was the ending. What an ending.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars


Boom Comics' BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA #3
This book had me cracking up all over the place. The approach here is very reminiscent of the ARMY OF DARKNESS comics over at Dynamite. It is cool to see Jack Burton play a more effective role than he had in the film, but still retain that hilarious goofiness that makes the character endearing. The art isn't the best, but the dialogue and pacing are way above average.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's NEW WARRIORS #8
I really, really love this book. I am especially enjoying the role of Speeball, who remains one of my favorite all-time characters. Namorita's character is also solid. They are incorporating Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird very well, too. I am not a huge fan of the Inhumanity storyline, but, hey, at least the dialogue, and art or good. The pacing, however, was not. And that seemed to be a problem with several books this month. It just felt like everything was rushed. Still, definitely worth picking up.
Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment