Saturday, August 16, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For 8-13-2014

Marvel's SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2
Boy am I enjoying this book so far. I really like the way Spidey 2099 is fitting in with the world of the past. I always felt this character had a lot of potential that was only occasionally fully met, and I have some confidence that this may happen more consistently here. I especially liked the way the bank robbery was handled at the beginning. It was a good homage to the original Spider-Man. An extra "plus" on this issue: the cover art is through the roof good.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Marvel's DEADPOOL: DRACULA'S GAUNTLET #6
It seems like they've thrown everything into this book but the kitchen sink. The result is a hilarious but badly paced book that entertains despite it's shortcomings. Deadpool and his new gal pal Shiklah take on Dracula and his forces. The whole thing is ridiculously frenetic, but the dialogue keeps you laughing. Overall, a good book that could've been even better if it were paced a bit better.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 2 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #11
Well the whole DOOMED crossover continues, and it continues to annoy me. As I said with the ANNUAL of this book, I liked the use of Steel and Lana Lang, but I'm not sure that was enough to save this issue for me. And oh, great, the next issue is also part of a giant crossover series (FUTURE'S END). If this book doesn't start getting some tighter storytelling, I'm quitting it altogether. They are really starting to grate on my nerves here.
Storyline: 2.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3 Stars


Marvel's THUNDERBOLTS #29
There was both good and bad here. The good: the scenes with Deadpool, Elektra, and Hawkeye investigating which of the Hulks is in trouble. There was some Deadpool-style comedy throughout the issue. The bad: the thing with Ghost Rider. I'll not spoil it for you, but it got me very angry. I am tired of this book pushing Johnny Blaze out of the picture. Can Ghost Rider ever catch a real break? He used to be superb. The pacing in this book is off, but everything else is more or less solid.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment