Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

DC's CONSTANTINE #14
This book has really picked up steam recently, for me. Constantine is a better character when he's not associating too much with your classical costumed superhero. Here he engages with a kind of living house that has been seek him out to trap him, and is forced to confront some important event from his past. I particularly enjoyed the art, which had a darker tone without loosing its realism. All in all, this is a good book and I think it is a good issue to pick up to start getting acquainted with the character.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #8
I am not collecting the Superman crossover DOOMED because I'm trying to take a break from books that crossover too much. But this particular instant within that larger story arc tempts me to break my resolution. It jumped around too much and this messed with the pacing but overall Wonder Woman's search for Clark, now infected with the Doomsday Virus, held my interest well. It is also fun sometimes to see Superman turned towards evil. Heck, it is why I liked Superman 3. The dialogue really works here, and the art continues to be solid. Overall, a good book.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Archie Comic's AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE # 5
This book keeps on delivering, though I would have liked a little more action in this issue. Here the whole story is told from the point of view of Veronica's surrogate father and family butler, and I liked that twist. This issue is all about tension as the Jughead-led zombie army surrounds Veronica's family home and the entire gang decides to leave Riverdale. A good book with some awesome dialogue, this is one of the best things comics has to offer right now.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4.5 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

Dynamite's ASH AND THE ARMY OF DARKNESS #7
A bit of comedy here as the book re-visits Ash's lack of luck when it comes to speaking magical words. The dialogue is funny enough, but I don't like this book nearly as much as some other ASH books, like the one featuring Hack/Slash. No, overall this is a good book but not a great book.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment