Friday, May 30, 2014

In-Depth Comic Book Review- Marvel's THUNDERBOLTS #26 *Spoiler Alert*

We continue down a devastating series of events, which kicked off last issue. Things just get from bad to worse as Ross's quest in Central America really goes to pot. The only member of the team to really get any 'high points' is Deadpool, whose stock has risen through the roof with me between this book and DEADPOOL VS CARNAGE, which I've written about elsewhere. His dialogue here ranges from insightful, to deadly serious, to darkly comic. The art in this book is very sold, and the pacing is quite good.

We learn that Ross's quest is not so much to find out what happened to friends he lost on a mission, as to confront a friend who completed that mission and wound up transformed into some kind of monstrosity. The climax of the book is when we get to see the head of a dead infant celestial, massive space gods that not only helped shape human evolution, but are playing an increasingly central role in the Marvel Mythos as time goes on, roughly tracking the Marvel Earth/Universe X series.

The Celestials are kind of what God would be like if God were essentially a scientist first and foremost. They experiment, they have strange and inscrutable purposes, and they are not unequivocally villainous. Nor are they straightforwardly heroic. Over and over again, their story is touching the Marvel universe and providing a more divine backdrop than Marvel has ever had. Yet this vision of the divine captures the mystery, without the revelation of love. Any reflection upon divinity that is not loving ends up being oppressive rather than freeing. If God is not like Jesus Christ, we are all screwed, as far as I can tell. There is some powerful imagery that can inspire some theology, but it is tangential to the real reason I chose this book for a more in-depth review.

The really interesting thematic exploration in this issue really all has to do with Thunderbolt Ross himself. There is some serious grist for theological reflection here. Here the Red Hulk is forced to face the truth of his existence, and given a chance at redemption. He is told that his crusades were more about his own ego than about doing what is right, and that every time he tries to correct past mistakes, his ego essentially corrupts those missions and only leads to more sin. Righteous indignation is no guarantee of a just cause. Righteous indignation has killed more people than perhaps any other human emotion.

In the end, pride has the power to corrupt even our highest values. As soon as one is sure they are right, they are almost always wrong (notice I say ALMOST). Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross, The Red Hulk, is told that the team he has formed to perform various 'missions' has only succeeded in adding the same note to what has so-far been a one-note life. His life has been all about what HE wants, and what HE thinks is right. The addition of great power to such a life only adds to the danger. What Ross has given to the universe has been death and darkness. The power he has has been corruptive because it is used for selfish ends.

This is all revealed to him by an old friend of his, now fused with the awesome power and insight of the Celestial. This friend can see great possibilities, however, if Ross's power and strength of will is turned outward, and made a tool of service to others. What he has given the universe so far is darkness, but that darkness can be turned to light, and what a wonderful light it could be. I'm not going to spoil the ending. But I have to say I love the way the choice is presented.

My God how powerful are the words, 'quit being so selfish.' I don't know how often I need to hear that. God whispers, screams, and brands these words into me daily. My life is predicated on the conviction that a man can change. However much a destiny has been dominated by the evil one, a new life of light and truth can be carved out. I must believe this. I know it cannot happen by my own power. I know, too, that the past is not so easily erased. My sins have consequences, and they are born by God. Christ is the cost of redemption. Jesus on the Cross is the reality of my sin and forever reveals the truth of my selfish sin.

The guilt of my sin is compounded by the vast gifts I have been given. God has empowered me so greatly. I know I've not always used that power for unselfish ends. But when I do, if I do, what a wonderful effect it can be. We are all the Red Hulk in this book, shown our power, shown our sin, and given a choice to turn to something greater.

This book is a great one, and this issue is a fantastic issue. I highly recommend it.

Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 5 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment