Friday, June 28, 2013

The White Lantern



I think that the creation of the various Lantern Corps is a work of mythological brilliance on the part of DC Writer/Editor Geoff Johns. The idea of each color corresponding to a facet of the psyche, all revolving around the interplay of light and dark and life and death, captivates me. It matches up with the whole life/death dichotomy and the centrality of moral struggle in Biblical religion. Just recently I was listening to a rabbi talk about the tension between life and death and the importance of that tension for the Jewish purity laws. I am not making this stuff up, I learn it from those who know. This picture embodies the power of that myth perfectly. There is something salvific in this image. It is the blending of eastern concepts of self-control and Christian concepts of salvation. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment