Monday, June 17, 2013

Not Really Off-Topic: MAN OF STEEL, Again Warning: SPOILERS

Sick of my harping on about Superman? I'm sorry if it is annoying some of you, just skip over these posts. I find it hard to resist commenting on the chatter going on around this film. One big issue some have is that they Christian Allegory, so they say, is too overt. Some are accusing the film of 'beating you over the head with it'.

I didn't find this to be so. There is no doubt that the allegory aspect is there, and it had to be in any big-picture Superman project. The allegory is just part of the mythos of the character. No, what was very prominent in the film was the fact that many of the main characters were, in fact, Christians. They ask questions like, 'is this a miracle?' and 'what is God's will for my life?' Scenes others took to be making connections between Superman and Jesus really came off to me as just indicating that Clark himself was a Christian. Which isn't a surprise since his parents apparently were, and he grew up in a small town in Kansas.

The film, I thought, was brave my making the moral struggle within Superman a RELIGIOUS moral struggle. His central question seemed to be what God wanted him to do. That is a big deal for a big Hollywood movie like this. And I, for one, found it refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment