Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews Release Date: 7-9-2014

Marvel's SPIDERMAN 2099 #1
Miguel O'Hara has for a long time been one of my favorite versions of Spider-Man. I love the aesthetic of the costume, the particular powers he possesses and the way he received them. I remember when the 2099 series all came out over 14 years ago, and I was way into them. There were some great stories there early on. But as the books went forward they lost momentum and the storylines suffered. Yet as a character Spider-Man 2099 remained solid. I'm so glad he's getting a new book as a time traveler stranded in the present day, and so far the approach is solid. Here some sort of 'time cop' comes back to kill Spidey before he can make some kind of egregious error. The storyline isn't terribly original, but the dialogue is solid and the pacing is good. The art is good, too. Overall, this is a good start.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #10
The DOOMED storyline cuts across all Superman titles, and it is starting to make it difficult to follow this one individual book. There was some cool stuff in this book with Brainiac and I LOVED the reintroduction of STEEL, and some kick-ass individual scenes really elevated the overall issue. Still, I felt lost and I wish there was some more focused writing with this book. I want an exploration of the relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman but what I am getting is Superman's relationship with everyone BUT Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman's relationship with people adjacent TO Superman.

Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3 Stars

Marvel's DEADPOOL: DRACULA'S GAUNTLET #1
Ever since I got into DEADPOOL VS CARNAGE and THE THUNDERBOLTS, Deadpool's stock has constantly risen with me. I am so drawn into the humor and absurdity of the character. Here the "Merc with a Mouth" gets drawn into vampiric intrigue with Dracula at the center. The storyline actually takes some original turns, but it is as usual the dialogue that really stands out. These writers really know how to capture the essence of the character in their monologues and dialogues. This book is hilarious and it moves with a perfect pacing.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment