Sunday, October 6, 2013

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

Big Dog Ink's LEGEND OF OZ THE WICKED WEST: ONGOING #11
Okay, I can say without reservation that this is my favorite ongoing comic book right now. I said recently that Zenescope's WONDERLAND had a problem crossing the line between being mysterious and being cryptic. This book knows exactly how to toe that line. Furthermore, they know how to 'pause' the main action and explore a side story without feeling bogged down. The dialogue is amazing, the story line is incredible, the art continues to be the best thing out there, and the ending was a surprise that really blew me away.

Story Line: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4.5 Stars
Pacing: 5 Stars
Art: 5 Stars
Overall: 5 Stars

DC's EARTH 2 #16
DC is back to telling main story line tales again, and boy was this a great way for me to get started. The pacing was a little off, but wow did the ending shock me. It tied directly to some things that went on during VILLAINS MONTH. The art continues to wow me, and they are taking this whole thing some interesting directions. My only complaint is that I'd like to see Green Lantern get a little more kick-butt.

Story Line: 4.4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 5 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

DC's FOREVER EVIL #2
I know some don't like this book, but I for one am riveted. I love the way it dealt with the aftermath of Ultraman's moving of the moon from issue one, and the internal intrigue of the Crime Syndicate. Lex Luthor was not as engaging as he was in issue 1, and didn't get as much page time, but still I really was engaged in the story. The art continues to be superb.

Story Line: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4.5 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

Archie Comics CLOD OF THUNDER One-Off
I rarely collect Archie Comics, but my wife loves them. I only really read the ones where they take other stories and re-imagine them in the Archie Universe. For instance, when they re-do fairy tales with Archie and the gang. I love those. This is a re-imagining of the THOR film through the Archie Lens. It works, it really works. It was funny and showed great creativity. I have a hard time judging the art of Archie comics, and the pacing of these side stories is always off. But still, a good time.

Story Line: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Marvel's HUNGER #3
Well, after two great issues of HUNGER, I really had high hopes for issue three. But those hopes were more or less dashed. While it had some great moments, it didn't live up to the first two. The whole thing felt rushed and the pacing was way off. The art was good, but the main character Rick Jones went through this very random, nonsensical "should I be a hero or shouldn't I" riggumroll. That doesn't work all within one issue. I'll still be looking for issue 4, but with lowered expectations.

Story Line: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment