Monday, October 21, 2013

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7
The storyline here was a little strange. I mean, it didn't feel like it really 'went anywhere'. The idea of some place called Heven that thinks that Earth is a myth was interesting, but really, I felt like I wasn't being taken anywhere. This is the second issue with this problem. GOTG is one of my favorite Marvel books, but it better get it in gear with the actual stories or there is a risk I will drop it soon. On the plus side, the dialogue was absolutely hilarious and engaging, and if that continues so will my interest.

Storyline: 2.5 Stars
Dialogue: 5 Stars
Pacing: 5 Stars
Art: 2.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Dynamite's GRIMM #6
I'm really digging this book. The Grimm-style take on Peter Pan was very interesting. It is funny, Peter Pan keeps getting re-imagined in fiction as a villain. Why is this a trend right now? Well, Grimm's approach to this idea is so far better than the television show ONCE UPON A TIME. If the new season of GRIMM on television is half as good as the comic has been, we're in for some good stuff in November.

Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 2.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA #4
Directly following the events of JUSTICE LEAGUE #23 and paralleling FOREVER EVIL, this book seemed a little disjointed at first. I didn't get the first part of the book with her foray into the world of Earth-3. But the book soon evened out, and I liked the encounter with Vandal Savage. I don't know how much longer I'll be collecting this book, though. There is just better stuff out there.

Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3 Stars

Zenescope's ROBYN HOOD: WANTED #5 (of 5)
I really like this book, because it isn't getting drawn into all the crossover BS over at Zenescope. DC is having this problem too: every character gets crossed over until everything is so big and complicated nobody can follow anything. Robyn Hood's story is nice and self-contained. This last issue of the limited series had some dark stuff in it, and it ended on a very down note. However, I rather liked the story, and I think this book is very engaging.

Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

DC's JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #8
We finally get some glimpses of what happened to the various Justice Leagues after JUSTICE LEAGUE #23. There is this whole strange prison that Martian Manhunter is trying to escape, and help others escape. But there was a bit too much going on. I really felt like this whole book was more filler than action. Nothing moved...it was a similar problem to the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY book this week. Not terrible, but not great either

Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's HUNGER #4 (of 4)
I said that issue three of this limited series was not very good. But then with this one they went and totally redeemed themselves. Awesome book, very awesome book. I liked the fusion of the new Rick Jones and Captain Marvel. The whole battle with the combined Galactus/Gah-Lak-Tus being was awesome. There is this whole apocalyptic feel going on at Marvel and DC now, though, this whole pessimistic streak that really isn't doing it for me. I hope it ends soon.

Storyline: 5 Stars
Dialogue: 4.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

Marvel's NEW AVENGERS #11
I picked up this book because the cover looked cool and because it crossed over to INFINITY. I can't give it a good review, because I haven't been keeping up with the rest of the NEW AVENGERS books. I was lost through most of it. What I did get I liked. I won't be giving a detailed review because I think it would be unfair.

DC's BATMAN 1966 #4
I saved the best for last. I am simply loving this book. With all of the negativity at DC with FOREVER EVIL and at Marvel with the AGE OF ULTRON aftermath and INFINITY stuff, I really enjoyed sitting down to something fun and funny. I laughed, yes, but I also simply loved the creative twists and turns. This is absurdism at its finest, and with a sense of the DC universe that it is toying with. The retro art is simply superb, the story lines are funny but engaging, the dialogue is hilarious but has an internal logic, and the pacing is better than most comics. I cannot recommend this highly enough

Storyline: 5 Stars
Dialogue: 5 Stars
Pacing: 5 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment