Monday, April 29, 2013

The Language Barrier In Theology

A Biblical Studies professor once told me that reading the Bible in translation, as opposed to in the original language, is like kissing one's wife through a veil. There are entire UNIVERSES of meaning and value that are hidden to we mere mortals who do not speak ancient Hebrew and/or Greek. You realize this as you become more educated in Biblical studies and theology. A single word can lead to an entire page of exegesis for those who are skilled in the Biblical languages. The Hebrews were brilliant wordsmiths. I don't think there was a more word-centric religion anywhere in history, than the ancient Hebrew religion(s). Puns are everywhere, a word is chosen because it 'parallels' with another word somewhere else in the text. More advanced study guides will take you through a labyrinthine maze of linguistic turns which are completely hidden in English.

Joel talks about the rain in one verse, and in the next stars talking about our 'teacher'. Hidden is the fact that 'teacher' and 'rain' sound very much alike, indicating that Joel was taught something by the rain. The blessings upon Abraham are mirror images of the curses set upon Adam earlier in Genesis. Not a fact that we are likely to pick up on when reading the text, but clear in the original Hebrew. Psalm 91 uses the same language as the serpent 'striking' which is spoken of in Genesis 3, linking the darkness to the serpent. Job references this connection. The darkness becomes, in Job's hands, the living serpent, the primordial dragon that was said to be slain by God before the beginning of time.

It goes on and on. I have come to realize that my ability to make new theological insights, based on the Bible itself, is soon to hit an upper ceiling. To really expand my skills I am going to have to learn the languages eventually. As soon as I am done with my current schooling, this will be my next goal, alongside memorization of the New Testament (which I will discuss in a separate post). I currently use computer programs and Bibles that are big on translation to help me, but this can only take one so far. Theological skill is an ongoing endeavor. It takes a lifelong commitment, and a lot of work. It is not enough to be good at knowing the Bible, even in the original languages, you must have some deep experiential background, and strong analytical skills. Creativity is a must to be good at theology, and so one must have a touch of the artist within them (in my case it is just at ouch). Yet this creativity is bracketed by fact-and-figure type Biblical knowledge and a whole slew of practical skills. Biblical studies is one of the hardest PhD degrees to get, because you have to become skilled at the languages.

Great theology comes from the soul, and from the mind. I am committed to greatness, which I know can only come from God, ultimately. Yet it requires a lot of work as I prepare for that moment, whenever and if ever it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment