Friday, April 26, 2013

Inspirational Lines From Songs Part 1

"So I walked upon high, and I stepped to the edge, to see my world below. And I laugh at myself, as the tears roll down. Because it's the world I know. It's the world I know."- WORLD I KNOW, Collective Soul
Comment: This is the world in it's essence. The world is both supremely fun and funny, and supremely sad, all at the same time. This is reality laid bare. I do not think this is simply a human projection or how I FEEL about the world, I think my feelings correspond to reality. The world is wonderful and terrible. Christianity is the only religion I've found that speaks to this truth in all of it's depth.

"Oh you don't understand who they thought I was supposed to be." - DOWN IN A HOLE, Alice In Chains
Comment: Whenever I hear this line,  I think about Jesus and the circumstances around His death. Everyone expected the political messiah, the warrior-messiah. His rejection of this role was His greatest downfall, and His greatest triumph.

"You can run on for a long time, run on for a long time, run on for a long time. You can run on for a long time, sooner or later God'll cut you down. Sooner or later God'll, cut you down."- GOD WILL CUT YOU DOWN, Johnny Cash
Comment: Not a universal truth but a general truth. For most people, most of the time, their dark secrets will catch up to them, eventually. This reminds me of something James Russell Lowell said, "The arc of the Moral Universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

"And crying she knelt by the manger, for her gift was unworthy of Him."- THE GIFT, Aselin Debison
Comment: Gets me teary eyed when I hear it, quite often. The little girl's humility is the real gift. The only one who really gives is the one who realize how insignificant their gift is.

"Nail in my hand, from my Creator, You gave me life, now show me how to live."- SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE, Audioslave.
Comment: This is one of the purest prayers I've ever heard or read. This is my prayer all the time. God just show me what to do, God help me be who I am supposed to be. Life is a gift, yes, and I want to live as one who knows what it cost. But doing that is easier said than done. Reminds me of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's poem, WHO AM I?

"The sharp knife of a short life."- IF I DIE YOUNG- The Band Perry
Comment: One of the best lines in any song ever. The death of the young hits me hardest. It is not death per se, but the randomness of death that is an affront to our very humanity. Death is not something to be simply accepted, but to be fought against, and to be opposed, especially when it comes to children.

"There's demons from my past that haunt me every night, and I just can't get through it. If I could forget them on my own, I'd let go and just move on, but Heaven knows, I am only human...and that's why I pray."- THAT'S WHY I PRAY, Big & Rich
Comment: I cannot explain my reasons for believing without giving my personal story. Only in the depths of total despair, and in the dredges of sin, did I find some reason to believe. Others may be better people than me. But I cannot move past my past without help. God gave me that help. I'll never forget it, and never leave Him behind, if I can help it.

"God great, beer is good, and people are crazy."- PEOPLE ARE CRAZY, Billy Currington
Comment: I don't agree with the second proposition but the other two are so true they drown it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment