Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Off-Topic: Levels of Lucidity

I often lucid dream. Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming and you are able to control your dreams. I have identified seven levels of lucidity that I can enter into. The goal is to get to a six or seven.

Level 1- At a level one lucid dream, I simply find myself have vast power. I can be like Superman or actually be able to change the world with my thoughts, but this never occurs to me to be strange. I'm excited and moved by the power, but I never reflect on what it means.

Level 2- At this level of lucid dreaming, I have a firm awareness of a difference between me and the rest of the world. I have a strong sense that I am different from the world around me. But I don't spend much time in the dream trying to discern what this difference is about.

Level 3- At this level I can control the world around me, and I realize that this is strange and I want to know what is going on, but I never do figure it out. I know the world isn't quite right and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong or why I have the power I do, but I never actually figure it out.

Level 4- This level is exactly like level three, except towards the end of the dream I figure out I'm dreaming, and immediately wake up. These dreams can last a long time, with much of the dream being about me trying desperately to figure out what is 'wrong' with the world or with me. Then all of a sudden it hits me, I will consciously realize I'm dreaming and simply wake up. It can be a real bummer.

Level 5- At some point in the dream I figure out I'm dreaming, and I gain control over the dream. But for some reason, I forget I'm dreaming and lose my lucidity and my control. I have dreams where I go in and out of lucidity, sometimes being in full control and sometimes forgetting that everything that happens is not real.

Level 6- In a level six lucid dream I completely realize I'm dreaming, but my control is strangely limited. I can do things but I can't fully control the world around me. I don't know why I have these blocks of control, but they also tend to make the dream less sharp and crisp. They feel less real.

Level 7- This is lucid dreaming at its best. For most of the dream I know I'm dreaming and I have almost total control. I can do anything and the dream feels as real as real life.

Hyper-reality- Some people talk about dreams that feel more real than real. I've had these dreams, though I call them properly visions. They usually happen when I pray or meditate in my dreams and I enter a space I'd call heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment