Sunday, February 22, 2015

Meet Miguel De Unamuno

If you have never read Miguel De Unamuno's THE TRAGIC SENSE OF LIFE, you absolutely must. His book THE AGONY OF CHRISTIANITY is also good. For me, existentialism reached its height in Unamuno. He is twice the writer of Kierkegaard, with all of the truth retained. His book is about the struggle between faith and reason, and how that struggle can be itself an expression of the Cross. If you want a reason to believe in God, he can give you one. If you want a reason to disbelieve, that, too, he can provide. Almost every day I quote a Bible passage from Mark that he reflects upon in TRAGIC SENSE.."I do believe, help my unbelief."

Unamuno found the cosmic in the book DON QUIXOTE, and in this too he finds the cross. I simply love this writer and commend him to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment