Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For LAST Wednesday, 10/29/2014

DC's EARTH 2: WORLD'S END #4
I rather liked the exploration of Wonder Woman's daughter and Atlantis in this issue. The art is good in the book, and I like the characters. But the storyline is getting stale. Very stale. I'm just tired of this endless battle against apocalypse. I'm likely to continue reading for a while, but I see myself getting bored in the future. I really want to learn more about these characters, and to see them in some different contexts. This book may be on a permanent downslide.

Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARK Annual #2

This book made a very bold move by radically changing the relationship between two characters, and by bringing in some we've been missing for a while. I liked the interplay between the Houses of Secrets and Mystery and I'm glad they've done the house cleaning they did in this issue. The book will benefit from it, I think. They did some cool things with Deadman's powers in this issue, too, which I liked a lot. All in all, this was a good issue and I think it included some good changes for the book.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's SINESTRO #6
This continues the lantern wars with the New Gods as the Yellow Lanterns and Indigo Tribes both get into the fray. Sinestro does some dark stuff in this issue, that really moved the story along. My one big beef is that the New Gods are coming off a little thin in all of this, except for Highfather. This thin characterization makes for some weak dialogue in places, though Sinestro and other Yellow Lanterns deliver enough good lines to make up for it, mostly.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stas
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #20
The story of Starlord's escape from the Cancerverse concludes as we learn the final fate of Richard Rider, the original Nova. This story arc has been pretty solid, and I'm happy with the conclusion, more or less. My only beef is that Thanos hasn't really gotten the characterization he's due, in this or any other comic book, in a long time, except for Starlin's recent INFINITY REVELATION, which almost reached the level of Thanos' glory days. I liked the dialogue given to Nova and Drax, and the overall arc of the story here. All in all, it was a good book.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment