Monday, November 3, 2014

Battlestar Galactica Week 4



Season 2, Episode: “The Valley of Darkness”

Jeremiah 2:1-8
The word of the Lord came to me: “Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem:
“This is what the Lord says:
“‘I remember the devotion of your youth,
    how as a bride you loved me
and followed me through the wilderness,
    through a land not sown.
Israel was holy to the Lord,
    the firstfruits of his harvest;
all who devoured her were held guilty,
    and disaster overtook them,’”
declares the Lord.
Hear the word of the Lord, you descendants of Jacob,
    all you clans of Israel.
This is what the Lord says:
“What fault did your ancestors find in me,
    that they strayed so far from me?
They followed worthless idols
    and became worthless themselves.
They did not ask, ‘Where is the Lord,
    who brought us up out of Egypt
and led us through the barren wilderness,
    through a land of deserts and ravines,
a land of drought and utter darkness,
    a land where no one travels and no one lives?’
I brought you into a fertile land
    to eat its fruit and rich produce.
But you came and defiled my land
    and made my inheritance detestable.
The priests did not ask,
    ‘Where is the Lord?’
Those who deal with the law did not know me;
    the leaders rebelled against me.
The prophets prophesied by Baal,
    following worthless idols.

Jeremiah 7:30-34
The people of Judah have done evil in my eyes, declares the Lord. They have set up their detestable idols in the house that bears my Name and have defiled it. 31 They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind. 32 So beware, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when people will no longer call it Topheth or the Valley of Ben Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter, for they will bury the dead in Topheth until there is no more room. 33 Then the carcasses of this people will become food for the birds and the wild animals, and there will be no one to frighten them away. 34 I will bring an end to the sounds of joy and gladness and to the voices of bride and bridegroom in the towns of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem, for the land will become desolate.

Reflect on the Bible passages in light of the episode.

Reflect on this quote: “may the lords protect you.”

Reflect on this quote: “I was fooled by her, she fooled me.”

How was God ‘fooled’ by people?

What do you think of Cara’s attitude towards Helo and his relationship with Sharon?

Reflect on this quote: “The Cylons have a way of making us all look like idiots.”

What is Gaius’ vision of Captain Adama all about? What do you think of this?

Reflect on this quote: “is this the shape of things to come?”

How does “Six” respond to the question, “Why did they kill my baby”?

What did humans think Kobol was all about?

What was it instead?

What does God say through Jeremiah about the Israelite’s early years?

What changed?

Why do you think Jeremiah mentions child sacrifice several times (we saw him mention it in a different passage in an earlier lesson)?

What do you think of this as a commentary on human nature? Is it true that this is our ‘true nature’?

Reflect on this quote: “All of this has happened before…and all if it will happen again.”

How do we see these patterns in scripture?

Job 10:13-17
But this is what you concealed in your heart,
    and I know that this was in your mind:
14 If I sinned, you would be watching me
    and would not let my offense go unpunished.
15 If I am guilty—woe to me!
    Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head,
for I am full of shame
    and drowned in my affliction.
16 If I hold my head high, you stalk me like a lion
    and again display your awesome power against me.
17 You bring new witnesses against me
    and increase your anger toward me;
    your forces come against me wave upon wave.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

What do we learn about who Cara is from her time in her old home with Helo?

Reflect on this quote: “everyone I know is fighting to get back what they had. I’m fighting because I don’t know how to do anything else.”

What do you think it means to be in the ‘Valley of the Shadow of Death’?

Who ‘stalks’ Job in the Job passage?

Contrast the Job and Psalm passage? What tension exists?

How can both coexist in the same Bible?

How do each of the various groups in tonight’s episode stand ‘in the valley of the shadow of death’?

How and where do they find some semblance of protection, security and even ‘salvation’?

What do you think of the decision to send a group to go get the medkit when the soldier was so far gone?

What are your opinions about the discussion over euthanizing the injured soldier?

Reflect on this quote: “sometimes you have to roll a hard six.”

Reflect on this quote: “The gods must be watching over you.”

What do you think of what Lee says at the end about Cy, his father, himself and the ship?

No comments:

Post a Comment