Sunday, June 15, 2014

Graduation

Today I graduate from the Iona school for ministry, which is the Episcoopal seminary for bi-vocational priests and deacons. Bi-vocational means that they work as priests part time and usually without pay. I have completed their lay ministry track and will be recieving a Certificate of Theology from the institution. It isn't an accredited degree, but the program itself was not far off from what they teach in regular seminary, and so the training is comparable to a Masters of Divinity. I enjoyed my work there, for the most part, and am proud of the achievement.

My certificate will help me in the Episcopal Church. It will make it easier to find lay ministry jobs like Director of Youth Ministries. It will also increase my intellectual prestige should I ever start my own independent type church. Which I really want to do some day. The main value I got was to run some of my ideas past professors. Being an autodidact, I have a huge body of work that lacks much indepdendent intellectual review. The response I got was overwhelmingly positive. It looks like I might know what I'm talking about.

I have a vast appreciation and respect for my fellow students, especially those going into bivocational work. They have put in an incredible amount of time, money and effort to do work for which they will probably never be paid. It is a labor of love founded on the call of God alone, and the rest of us in ministry should take note. The laborer is worthy of his hire, but blessed is the one who turns to the work of God for the love of it alone. I am happy I did this, and despite some struggles, found the overall experience very worth while. I'll see some of you later today as I walk across that stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment