Monday, January 27, 2014

The Faith of Nerdom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_6OfgbF7c

That clip captures the true spirit behind geekiness, I think. I've spoken about it before, but I found the clip and I wanted to share it. In our hearts, we all just want someone to give us permission to believe. Nobody gets that obsessive about something they know is a lie, or just a fantasy. Everything in our behavior... the behavior of the geeks, the nerds, etc...speaks to the fact that in our heart of hearts we do believe. The leap from this attitude and faith is a short one. I believe that there is SOME TRUTH to which all our great fiction points, some grander adventure that it reaches out to, and that the point of contact between fiction and Truth (rather than just truths) is the reason why fiction can be so motivating, inspiring, moving, and so on. My role as minister, as a minister who really looks for that point of contact, is simply to give people permission to believe. Every pastor is Jason Nesmith from GALAXY QUEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment