Sunday, January 26, 2014

Comic Book Reviews

It was a light week for comic books this week, for me. Only three in my box. I did my in-depth review of one, here are the other two.

DC's BATMAN '66 #7
This book continues to delight, though this issue was not as funny as the rest have been. I love the coloring of this book, and the way the art really captures the 1960s television show. The random "public service announcement" moments work really well too. I loved this show when I was a kid, it came on right after I got out of school in the 80s. It is so much fun seeing it re-worked in this comic book. Some comic books fail because they get into 'villain of the week' patterns. But it is the characterization of the villains that drives this book, for sure. The dialogue just wasn't quite as funny as weeks past. I didn't laugh out loud as much. Still, a fun book that I will continue to read.

Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Artwork: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

DC's Batman Beyond Universe #6
I have to say that some of the BEYOND Universe stuff, which spun off from the television show BATMAN BEYOND, is really good. Most of the comics are too short, but this comic book completely turned that problem around, it is long and meaty and I loved this story. I usually collect the BEYOND stuff on my DC comics App, and don't review them here (I only review comics I read paper bound). But this one was one of the 'picks of the week' over at Bedrock and this was the last issue, so I took it for myself. I was not disappointed. Brainiac returns after more than a decade underground, and threatens to destroy Earth and some of her cosmic allies. This comic hits all the points, though the art is a bit too much like the animated series, which is a problem with all the BEYOND comics. A little artistic variation would not hurt. Overall, a great book I highly encourage you to check out.

Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment