Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Oh Wretched Man That I Am

If you find wisdom on this blog, do not think that it is because I am wise.
If you find something of God, do not believe that I am a godly person.
I am a sinner: lustful, prideful, and prone to fits of rage.
By God's grace I think I have moments of insight.
Insight that I choose to share.
God's Grace is my only salvation.
There is no good in me.

There is this film THE USUAL SUSPECTS...great flick. At the end Verbal Kint asks his interrogator why this criminal mastermind, who has killed all of his friends, let him live. "After all", Verbal says, "I am just stupid and broken." "Ah", says the interrogator, "it is BECAUSE you're a loser, BECAUSE you're stupid."

Why did God choose me? It must only be because I am stupid, because I am a loser, because I am the worst kind of sinner. Yes, this is God's good pleasure. To "plunge his hand into the filth" (Dark Knight Rises) and pull me up, clean. Perhaps it is to show His glory, perhaps to help keep me from becoming something even worse, perhaps it is some profound statement about God's inner being and love, or perhaps it was just dumb luck. But for whatever, reason, I have been chosen for glory beyond that which my moral stature deserves.

God please make me a better person, and thank you for raising me up beyond what I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment