Friday, September 13, 2013

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

Marvel's SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #18
I've made no secret of my general dislike of the new Doc Ock Spider-Man, but this issue features the 2099 Spider-Man of which I have been a longtime fan. I had hoped that Miguel O'Hara would replace Peter Parker, but alas, they went a different direction. This issue is far better than most of the SUPERIORs I've read. I highly recommend it.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4.5 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars


DC's ACTION COMICS #23.1/CYBORG SUPERMAN #1
DC's "Villains Month" continues with this reinvention of the origins of the Cyborg Superman. This is a pretty dark comic book, y'all. I was disturbed by some of the images/ideas. That doesn't happen much with DC. Cyborg Superman has, here, taken on a very satanic status, embodying everything I think satan is all about. Good writing, though the dialogue leaves something to be desired.
Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Dynamite's GRIMM #5
We finish up the first story line of this television spinoff. The art in this book is pretty weak, but everything else is spot on. The dialogue usually captures the characters perfectly, without just carbon copying stuff from the TV show. I liked this story, and I liked how it ended. I did not like Nick's relationship with the female lead all that much, but besides that, a good issue of a good book.
Stroryline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 2.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Zenescope's WONDERLAND: ONGOING #14
This Wonderland book is really going in the right direction, in contrast to some of the limited series that are going on. There are things that come up in this comic that will be hard to get if you don't read those other series, though. That is a big minus for the book. I shouldn't be forced to read second-level stuff to keep up with a first-level comic. The art in this issue is not as strong as some of the others, but overall this is a very good comic.
Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's SUPERMAN #23.2/BRAINIAC #1
What a great reinvention of the Brainiac mythos. I am really impressed by this comic, though like so many of these VILLAINS series books, it seems a little rushed. The art is very impressive, and especially the coloring. Overall, this is just a top notch book.
Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 4.5 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

DC's EARTH 2 #15.2/ SOLOMON GRUNDY #1
This was the worst book I've gotten in the last few weeks. I was really looking forward to this one, as I am a big EARTH 2 fan (it is the best thing DC has going on, IMHO), and I am a fan of the character SOLOMON GRUNDY. But this book was not very good. The pacing was even worse in this one than in some of the other VILLAINS books. The story was confusing and explained nothing. The art was great, but that is the book's only saving grace. Do not spend money on this one.
Storyling: 1.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 1.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 2.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment