Thursday, July 4, 2013

The New Book I'm Reading

Miguel De Unamuno is one of my favorite philosophers. His book TRAGIC SENSE OF LIFE is a must-read. It helped me cope with my long-standing, awful depression which could (and I guess still can) plague me for months on end. I'm not sure I could've made it without his perspective. I realize now that as pessimistic as his work is, it holds within it the seeds that make escape possible, by giving the negative a meaningful context. I had long known only of TRAGIC SENSE and a book he wrote on DON QUIXOTE. I have looked for that latter book for a long time and can find no copies in English. Then, quite by chance, I stumbled upon another book by him, THE AGONY OF CHRISTIANITY. I am 1/3 of the way through, and so far it is brilliant. It is a theological treatise based on his "tragic philosophy" laid out in TRAGIC SENSE. A book report here on my blog is likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment