Thursday, May 23, 2013

Without Hell

Without hell morality can only be motivated by love. Love of God and love of the other. The two are one and the same. That is why Jesus tells us first to Love God and then to love our neighbor as ourselves. For the two great commandments are interconnected. If you have experienced a pure vision of the divine, that in and of itself is motivating. What if morality made it harder to reach that vision, what if you were addicted to God and being a better person kept you close to Him? Would this not function more effectively as a motivating force. It has in my own life. I try to be a better person (and trying is about all I can do) so that I can maintain the heights of the divine presence. The effects are immediate and right at hand. I don't have to plan what I do based on some fate 'up there', 'in the future'. Bad behavior breeds a hell for me almost immediately. Put people in touch with God and they will get hungry for it, that hunger will motivate them more than any fear of hell ever could. For love is stronger than fear. "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear" (1 John).

1 comment:

  1. Josh, you may have forgotten just how far you have gone. Such an addictive love for God is indeed far, far away from the bulk of humanity. Fear is far more easily accessible and I think that is why so many faiths, the one of our youth especially, focus upon that. It is a more certain way to elicit compliance and obedience.

    What is more it sounds quite difficult to reach. Why ever would I go through the trouble? This seems a paradox: I must want something I've never encountered badly enough to work for it until it becomes compelling.

    Sounds difficult in the extreme. Please don't be surprised that so few come anywhere near where you are. It is a distant place.

    ReplyDelete