Friday, May 3, 2013

Inspirational Lines From Songs Part 2

"People killin', people dyin'...Children hurt and you hear them cryin'...Can you practise what you preach, And would you turn the other cheek...Father, Father, Father help us, Send some guidance from above 'Cause people got me, got me questionin' Where is the love (Love)"- WHERE IS THE LOVE, The Black Eyed Peas Et Al
Comment: Isn't this a powerful prayer, and the prayer so many of us make almost every day. The whole song is like that. We feel this Transcendent Force within Love, we experience Love as God, and yet so little of this world seems guided by Love. We pray to Love for guidance in a world without Love.

"Hey, glory glory Hallelujah...welcome to the future"- WELCOME TO THE FUTURE, Brad Paisley
Comment: The Bible moves from a focus on the past to a focus on the future. God ceases to 'push forward' the world from 'back there' in the past, and starts 'coming in' from 'up there in the future, guiding us forward. There is something terrible about time, but something glorious too. It is the source of all decay and all hope.

"I don't care...I don't care what you believe...As long as you are in my heart, You're just as real as me...Maybe even more...Someone has touched so many lives, Can never never die"- THIS IS NOT THE END, The Bravery
Commentary: There is something sacramental about this line. I have long maintained that being remembered in this world cannot satisfy our need for significance. But there may be something sacramental about being remembered. It may be a sign of a deeper significance, a more permanent and lasting imprint we make, in the life of God Eternal.

"Lord help me to keep in front of my mind, that you gave your Son so that mine would have life"- THIS IS MY SON, Cherryholmes
Commentary: I kind of change these words as I sing them. The central truth is that God gave His son for us, that God Himself died for us. Sacrifice is at the heart of the universe. Existence, being, life, consciousness, grace, happiness, depth, even taste and smell and sight, and all that makes life worth living, everything is a gift, and not a free gift. That Creation and Redemption cost God...this is the truth that must always remain at the forefront of our faith.

"God I'm down here on my knees, 'cause it's the last place left to fall. Beggin' for another chance if theirs any chance at all."- MAN I WANT TO BE, Chris Young
Commentary: This always makes me think of when I was getting off of drugs. I sat in the shower daily just begging God to help me through one more minute, one more day, one more week. God gave me that strength. This was when I re-discovered faith. God did exist. God mattered. God could DO something.

No comments:

Post a Comment