Saturday, February 9, 2013

More on Genesis 32:22-32

I've spoken about this passage before, a long time ago. It is my favorite passage in the whole of the Old Testament. Recently it was mentioned in a film I watched, HERE COMES THE BOOM. A fighter talks about how a wrestler might read this passage, and I was deeply moved. He talked about Jacob earning God's respect by enduring the wrestling match. That is exactly right. This passage shows us a dynamic God, who can change and learn things. Struggles in relationships are not always bad, they can be positive and creative. I come back to this passage over and over again. For one, it is easy to overlay a historical background for the story, which I like. It only heightens the reality and truth of the text as written. The text itself is as true and real as the background. This is reality laid bare, and the best sacred history has to offer. The dark, the mystery, the internal reality of Javob's struggle with God becoming physically incarnate. It speaks to my very core, this is my life laid bare and my soul reflected back at me. God blesses by calling Jacob ISRAEL, which means "struggles with God". If all this is alien or silliness to you, I'm sorry. I read that passage and every fiber of my being resonated. I am eternally in awe of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment