Friday, February 15, 2013

Judaism's Mythos

Iam reading a book right now on Jewish Myth. Now I use the term myth here in a very technical sense. I do NOT mean "a story that isn't true", rather I mean something like "theological speculation in story form". The book is TREE OF SOULS by Howard Schwartz. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

It recounts the post-biblical cosmic storytelling of rabbinical Judaism. Judaism had a longer period of mythopoeic speculation than any other of the world's great religions. A couple of things worth noting:

1) Many of these reflections include speculation about semi-divine beings that stand alongside God and assist in His work. These beings are both other than God, and yet are also aspects of Him. They participate in the Divine being, yet their personhood is separate from Him. These reflections come very close to the doctrine of the Trinity. They are not the same, but they are so close it makes me wonder why Jews in general have such intense opposition to the Trinity. I understand why they reject it, but it seems to me that they should not have a major intellectual problem with it. Much of their own tradition plays with similar ideas.

2) There is so much about light and dark, which relates to much of my own thinking as of late. The stories in general resonate with insights and experienced gained during meditation. I really find a lot that speaks to the deepest part of my heart. If I didn't love Jesus so much, I'd definitely be Jewish.

3) There is a lot about the concepts of "Shekinah" and "Ruach", which are feminine aspects of God. It really speaks to my own thoughts about the Holy Spirit as being feminine in expression. I am now more convinced of this than ever.

Overall, I am deeply intrigued. Freeing the religious imagination is a dangerous endeavor. But with Christ as an anchor, the spirit can fly free in faith and without fear. Well, maybe a little fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment