Thursday, October 23, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews For 10-22-2014 Part 2

DC's BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #15
Terry Mcginnis' girlfriend gets re-acquainted with the Royal Flush Gang while other villains are gathering all around Batman Beyond. Terry and Bruce are seriously at odds over Terry's continued travel to the Justice Lords Universe to train the alternative Batman Beyond and to get closer to the alternate universe version of his father. Meanwhile, Terry learns about the difficulties of trusting others when one is Batman, a lesson he's constantly have to learn and re-learn. The thing I like about this comic is character development. I don't feel we get enough of that in other superhero comics these days, especially when it comes to DC. I enjoyed this book, as I usually do, though I wasn't drawn into the action all that much, as I have been in past issues.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARK #35
What was that thing I just said about character development at DC? Well it looks like we have exception number two here. Zatanna has a surprise encounter with her father as she discovers a world steeped in the most powerful kind of magic. This allows for some serious exploration of who this character is and why she does what she does. The art with the dinodragons was excellent, and I enjoyed the book, though Zatanna is not one of my favorite characters.
Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Marvel's NEW WARRIORS #11
The Eternals join in with the High Evolutionary and help to roundly defeat the Warriors and reignite the plan to wipe mutants and altered humans from the face of the Earth. But we get a sense that there may be some misdirection and foul play afoot, moving the story along even in a book dominated by fight scenes. The fight scenes are not all that riveting, to be honest, and there's nothing here I haven't seen a thousand times. Still, I liked the internal monologue of Speedball quite a bit, and he is one of my favorite characters.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment