Friday, April 4, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

Marvel's DEADPOOL VS CARNAGE #1

I can't imagine very many comic book fans are refraining from picking this one up. I mean it is one of the most popular Marvel villains fighting one of the most popular Marvel...eh....mercenaries. This book jumped right into a state of chaos, and that is the way it should be. The storyline so far is pretty basic. I mean there is no pretense to a higher meaning here, at all. But the details were absolutely hilarious. Deadpool getting messages from the comic book creators (he has the superpower of comic book awareness, which means he knows he's in a comic book) was so funny. The dialogue is really what drove this issue and it will drive the entire mini-series.

Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 4.5 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Marvel NEW WARRIORS #3
So far this book is really going well. To revisit such a classic comic book story line by starting a second evolutionary war here was bold and well-done. The High Evolutionary is one of my favorite characters and I find his new mission very engaging and disconcerting. The return of Speedball to his classic costume and behavior is refreshing and I think Scarlet Spider is being used very effectively here. The pacing is a little off but the overall effect is very good indeed.

Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Dynamite's ASH VS THE ARMY OF DARKNESS
This book has not been my favorite AOD book from Dynamite, but this had some really good stuff in it. I loved the fight between Ash and Giant Ash, and there was a twist at the end I really didn't see coming. While the pacing seems off (it all feels really rushed), I enjoyed the overall effect.

Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment