Wednesday, February 26, 2014

One-Post Wednesday: Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

Marvel's NOVA #13
I'm falling into the middle of this Nova storyline, and so I'm a bit lost, but I picked up this issue because it featured Beta Ray Bill. It seems Bill's people, the Korbanites, have suffered tragedy yet again, and I wish they'd stop making this noble character's life so miserable. But I have to say, in the overall, I liked this book. The new Nova reminds me a lot of the old school Billy Batson and I like that very much. His fight with Bill was solid, and there was some humor interjected that work. The pacing was good and the dialogue was really good. The art was middle of the road for me. All in all a good book and I'll be sticking with it at least as long as Bill is featured.

Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel's NEW WARRIORS #1
The New Warriors were one of my favorite superhero teams from the 90s and I was excited to see them get back together. I also like some of the new additions to the team. The new Nova is here, and as I said before I'm just starting to get into this character. What I saw here further boosted his stock for me. The Scarlet Spider is featured also, and this is the best use of this character I've seen in a while. The villain seems to be the High Evolutionary, also a favorite of mine. I think I can see where this is all going, and so the storyline is a little predictable, but I can't stay firm with that prediction until I do, in fact, see where it is going. But a lot of this seems very familiar. But really, that is quite forgivable. The dialogue is really strong, and the art is good. The pacing is solid to, which is hard in an introductory team book like this. I'm impressed.

Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Note: This comic is rated 'Angelic Approved', my wife liked this book. As I've said before, this is a big endorsement.

DC's  BATMAN '66 #8
King Tut makes his first appearance in this comic book, and we also see the writers do some things that the television show never did. There is a big science fiction aspect to this book and I think it worked. Yes it was over the top but that is exactly what it should've been, given the context in which it is taking place. One thing that makes this book work so well is that every book is practically a one-shot. This makes pacing difficult but the writers pull that off, and it also forces them to tighten up the storytelling. That they stories are SUPPOSED to be tongue-in-cheek helps, naturally. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and this continues to be one of the strongest DC offerings out there, IMHO.

Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4.5 Stars

 Zenescope's TALES FROM OZ #2
Well this book was good, and I especially liked the art. The way it turned the whole 'cowardly lion' story on its head was interesting. The pacing was off, but that doesn't matter much. I'm sad to say this will be my last receive subscription from Zenescope. There has been way too much crap coming out of that company recently, and the recent conclusion to OZ clinched it for me. This one positive book was not enough to keep my supporting them. I may pick up a book here and there, but I am no longer subscribed to ANY Zenescope books.

Storyline: 4 Stars
Dialogue: 4 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

DC's BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #7
The return of Brainiac continues, and it continues to be interesting. Though in all honesty the second story in this giant sized comic, the Man-Bat storyline, was even more riveting. The writing on this book is really solid, and I like the size of this book. The writers have plenty of time to tell stories that are yet tightly contained. The dialogue can be a little weak at times, but the stories are really solid, as is the art work. I really liked the way it addressed the coming together of magic and technology. It was nothing I'd seen before. I'll be following this book at least as long as these stories continue.

Storyline: 4.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment