Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Happy Birthday Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Today Lutherans celebrate the birth of the martyr Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was killed by the Nazis for his involvement in plots to kill Hitler. He is one of my all-time favorite Christian figures, and he embodied faith like few Christians actually do. Here is my favorite quote by him:

"I learned later, and I am still learning up to this moment that it is only by living completely in this world, that one learns to have faith. By this worldliness, I mean living unreservedly in life's duties and problems, successes and failures...taking seriously, not our own suffering, but the sufferings of God in the world. In so doing, we throw ourselves completely into the arms of God, standing with Christ at Gethsemane. That, I think, is faith. That is metanoia, and that is what it means to be a Christian, and a man."

No comments:

Post a Comment