Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Eudaimonia and Eutheoia

The Greek philosophers were concerned with Eudaimonia, or at least Aristotle was. Eudaimonia is translated 'full human flourishing'. They sought the greatest good for all people. I've found that as long as I focus on my own flourishing, flourishing eludes me. As soon as I have it, it vanishes like the wind. That changes when I see my own flourishing as God's flourishing. I seek 'eutheoia' rather than 'eudaimonia', the full flourishing of God Himself.

I have known know great experience than sharing in the joy of God. I've known no more terrible experience than sharing in the suffering of God. Eudaimonia, seeking the good of people as my only goal, is a much more muted experience, yet it never really delivers. As much as living with and through God costs, it is the only way of life I have known that really delivers at all. And indeed, at the end of the day I find that God finds joy in my joy. I find that by seeking God's best I also find my own.

What happens in this universe hurts or helps God. It brings God joy or pain. This is the only way I have been able to make sense of my own encounter with meaning and value through the joys and pains of life. By giving into that experience fully, by focusing on the meaning behind the moment, I find genuine joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment