Monday, August 19, 2013

Some Nights


There is this song by the band Fun called "Some Nights." There is this one line where the singer talks about how his sister's love was a 'con' but that when he looks into his nephew's eyes he sees the amazing things that come from some terrible lies. That line speaks to me, very much. It is the theme of my life. I am a liar, and I have done everything in my life wrong. Yet God somehow brought me to a place beyond my imagination, a place of grace and even plenty. It also reminds me of that line from BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES where Commissioner Gordon talks about Batman reaching into the muck and being willing to get his hands dirty. Or the SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION where the main character "crawls through 1500 yards of waste and filth I don't want to imagine" and comes out "clean on the other side". Grace is transformation. God reached into my life and took garbage and made in into a diamond. Truly, this is the power of God: the power to receive, to transform and to transmit. Maybe this is why the Combat Motif appeals to me so much: the idea of God creating something good out of the chaotic monster speaks to the pattern of my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment