Monday, August 26, 2013

A Critique of Penn Gilette's "Commandments"


Penn Gilette is an atheist I deeply, deeply respect. Much of what he says I agree with. A few years back he put out his own version of the '10 Commandments'. I think they are worth a look, and as a person who often shows respect by thoughtful disagreement, I think a few are worth a think. My comments will be in Red. 

1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.
I don't have any problem here except that I don't understand what an ideal is to an atheist. I understand IDEAS about right and wrong, about what we should or shouldn't do, but I don't understand what an ideal is. An ideal, as I understand it, is related to platonic ideas about abstract forms. To say something is an 'ideal' is to give it a special ontological status. My response to this is 'what the hell are you talking about?' Love, creativity, intelligence, these are no more 'special' in an atheistic universe than any other chemical reaction. They are just stuff that happens in the brain, that is all they are. It may be true even without God that we should pursue intelligence, creativity, and love, but that doesn't make them any different than anything else. I suppose one could be some kind of platonist about these things without believing in God, but I think belief in abstract ideals that actually 'exist' and that set the pattern of proper behavior in the physical world is really a kind of pantheism rather than atheism (why is this? Well that is a good question for another blog post).

2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindle versus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)
There are some ideas worth dying for, and perhaps even worth killing for. If I idealize freedom and am not willing to fight or die for it, but you idealize tyranny but you are, then tyranny wins, every time. In the end, a person with nothing bigger than himself to die for really has nothing bigger than himself to live for. If you think about it, #2 really contradicts #1. Intelligence, creativity, and love are in themselves ideas as well as ideals (can something be an ideal without being an idea? Hmmmm....), if they are the 'highest' then they are worth dying for. I don't see how one can recognize an ideal as worth dying for without in principle putting that ideal above human beings.

3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)
I have no problem with this as a goal, but in practice I think it is more complicated than Teller thinks. Atheists often fall into the trap of being sure that they 'know who they are' and 'are honest with themselves.' I find self-knowledge to be something essentially mystery. I am a mystery to myself. I find myself in being known, not in knowing. It is in knowing that God knows me that I know myself. Some kind of direct contact with my own motivations and reasons, intentions and self-causes is not really there. 

4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)
No problem here. I just think that the profundity of rest, the almost divine experience of resting, is an experience that is itself a sign of the divine presence. Resting is a signal of transcendence. 

5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)
No problem here either. 

6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)
Good one. 

7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)
My problem here is with his caveat about the spouse. "If you can't keep a commitment don't make one." Who ever knows for sure whether the commitment they are about to make is fail safe? Commitments are about acting in uncertainty, not in certainty. The truth is that commitment is the very thing that drives us to fidelity and trustworthy-ness. So much of what Teller says here is about playing it safe. Don't do anything without knowing for sure why. Don't commit without knowing you can. He can't really believe that he's that self-aware can he? And without reaching beyond what is possible, we will never reach the impossible. I say, commit beyond your abilities, do what you cannot do and then turn to God, and God will help push you beyond what you know is possible for yourself. Marriage is a leap into the unknown. Everything that is must push beyond what is possible for it and reach a place of real transcendence. Of course if 'me' is all there is in my soul then I cannot move beyond that limit. The ability to self-transcend is another sign of the divine presence. Commitment is how we self-transcend. 

8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)
Again no problem. 

9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)
Really? Never? What about if a Nazi is looking to kill a jew hiding in your house and you are asked if you know where he is. 

10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.
What is too much wishing and hoping? Wishing and hoping are part of what makes life grand, without it we are nothing. How do I know when enough is enough?

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't an ideal here just mean what is valued? An ideal to an atheist means what he considers best or most worthy of effort, sacrifice. In my view a value always means someone is valuing something; there aren't values, including ideals in the sense being used here, apart from those acts of valuation.

    ReplyDelete