Friday, June 5, 2015

More WILFRED Quotes With Comments

"The master understands that the universe is forever out of control." - Lao Tzu
[God, I love Taoism. After Christianity it is my favorite religious philosophy.]


"Our biggest problems arise from the avoidance of smaller ones." - Jeremy Caulfield
[This hits really close to home to me today. So many of my problems are from the avoidance of smaller problems.]

"The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." - James A. Garfield
[The truth won't set you free until the truth is done with you. Truth upon secrecy or lie is like the cutting out of an infection. It is the only cure, but it is painful nonetheless.]

"The thing that lies at the foundation of positive change is service to a fellow human being." - Lee Iacocca
[Or, to God.]

"Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway." - Mother Teresa  
[Yep and yep.]

"If you do not ask the right questions, you do not get the right answers." - Edward Hodnett
[An often ignored truth. Asking the right question is an important skill. I often say that continental philosophy asks the right questions, whereas analytic philosophy helps us get the right answers.]

"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die." - Malachy McCourt
[I am so tired of resentment. I am weary of it.]

"If we knew each other's secrets, what comfort should we find." - John Churton Collins
[That is the freedom that truth brings.]

"The mistake is thinking that there can be an antidote to the uncertainty." - David Levithan
[Indeed.]


"Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always." - Hippocrates
[I'm trying.] 

"Suspicion is a heavy armor and with its weight it impedes more than it protects." - Robert Burns

"Sincerity, even if it speaks with a stutter, will sound eloquent when inspired." - Eiji Yoshikawa
[We live in a world steeped in insincerity. I can barely stand it. It chokes me. I have to swim in the genuine to feel clean.]

"I have little shame, no dignity - all in the name of a better cause." - A.J. Jacobs
[Every person involved in the human condition who is trying to any good will feel this way some of the time.]

"Truth may sometimes hurt, but delusion harms." - Vanna Bonta
[I love this saying.]

"Intuition is more important to discovery than logic." - Henri Poincaré
[I have learned to trust my intuition. The consistency of success doing this is astounding to me.]

"How weird was it to drive streets I knew so well. What a different perspective." - Suzanne Vega

"There can be no progress without head-on confrontation." - Christopher Hitchens
[This one is hard for me. But I succeed at it sometimes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment