Monday, June 8, 2015

FINAL Wonderfalls Bible Study



Episode 13: Caged Bird
Leviticus 19:10-12
Do not go back through your vineyard to gather the grapes that were missed or to pick up the grapes that have fallen; leave them for poor people and foreigners. I am the Lord your God.
11 “Do not steal or cheat or lie. 12 Do not make a promise in my name if you do not intend to keep it; that brings disgrace on my name. I am the Lord your God.

Proverbs 6:20
People don't despise a thief if he steals food when he is hungry

Isaiah 41:10-14
Do not be afraid—I am with you!
    I am your God—let nothing terrify you!
I will make you strong and help you;
    I will protect you and save you.
11 “Those who are angry with you
    will know the shame of defeat.
Those who fight against you will die
12     and will disappear from the earth.
13 I am the Lord your God;
    I strengthen you and tell you,
    ‘Do not be afraid; I will help you.’”
14 The Lord says,
“Small and weak as you are, Israel,
    don't be afraid; I will help you.
I, the holy God of Israel, am the one who saves you.

Isaiah 5:1-7
Listen while I sing you this song,
    a song of my friend and his vineyard:
My friend had a vineyard
    on a very fertile hill.
He dug the soil and cleared it of stones;
    he planted the finest vines.
He built a tower to guard them,
    dug a pit for treading the grapes.
He waited for the grapes to ripen,
    but every grape was sour.
So now my friend says, “You people who live in Jerusalem and Judah, judge between my vineyard and me. Is there anything I failed to do for it? Then why did it produce sour grapes and not the good grapes I expected?
“Here is what I am going to do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge around it, break down the wall that protects it, and let wild animals eat it and trample it down. I will let it be overgrown with weeds. I will not trim the vines or hoe the ground; instead, I will let briers and thorns cover it. I will even forbid the clouds to let rain fall on it.”
Israel is the vineyard of the Lord Almighty;
    the people of Judah are the vines he planted.
He expected them to do what was good,
    but instead they committed murder.
He expected them to do what was right,
    but their victims cried out for justice.

Genesis 45:4-6
Then Joseph said to them, “Please come closer.” They did, and he said, “I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. Now do not be upset or blame yourselves because you sold me here. It was really God who sent me ahead of you to save people's lives. This is only the second year of famine in the land; there will be five more years in which there will be neither plowing nor reaping.


What do you think of letting the kid go for a slinky?
Is all theft the same? Why or why not?

Compare to the situation with the kid to the theft situation discussed in Proverbs.

How does the Leviticus passage bear on the Proverbs command.

What does Eric say about going back to New Jersey?

What do you think of Heidi calling Jaye unstable over what happened with the murder accusation, 
given what we know about how that turned out?

Would God ever encourage someone to lie, do you think?

Reflect on this quote: “even if you have a choice, it can and will be taken away from you.”

How do we see the issue of fate in the Isaiah 4 passage?

Why does Mahandra fear the truth regarding her relationship with Aaron? Reflect upon this.

What do you think of the way the police officer deals with the kid?

Reflect on this quote: “give him heart.”

Reflect on this quote: “who is going to strengthen my resolve?

What do you think of the scene with Sharon holding Jaye while she’s crying?

Reflect on this scene and Jaye’s desire for resolve in light of the Isaiah passage.

Reflect on this quote: “Okay, so maybe you can make me.”

Can Jaye gain any special courage or strength from her ‘gift’ in this situation with the gunman of 
the sort Isaiah promises? Why or why not?

Is it the security guard’s fault that Jaye and the others find themselves in this situation?

What do you think of the bank robber insisting he shouldn’t be guilty of murder?

Do you agree? Why or why not?

What do you think of Eric going to see Heidi? What do you think of Heidi’s reaction?

Reflect on this quote: “I’m not going to die a coward.”

Reflect on this quote: “if you kill your pet bird, it can’t sing for you any more”, in light of Isaiah 5.

Reflect on this quote: “you think you’re all alone in this.”

What is the irony in these words?

Through everything this season, how many lives has Jaye saved? How did this kind of salvation 
come about?

What did Joseph say about what his brothers did to him?

What did this ‘saving of many’ cost people?

Was it worth it? Why or why not?

Was Jaye’s heartache? Why or why not?

What do you think of what happened with Heidi, Jaye and Eric?

What does Eric say about everything that happened? What do you think of this?



No comments:

Post a Comment