Saturday, March 15, 2014

Off-Topic: Comic Book Reviews

DC’s SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #6
This was a good, not a great, comic book. I liked some of the twists, the way Wonder Woman villains teamed up with Superman’s enemies without anyone knowing it, but there was something about the whole issue that was off. I didn’t like the halting, back and forth nature of the fight scenes. The pacing of the whole thing was off too. In fact, that may have been the primary problem…the pacing. The art was still good and overall the storyline was good, the dialogue was okay, but the pacing felt rushed, and there was something repetitive about this issue vis a vis the last issue.
Storyline: 3.5 Stars
Dialogue: 3.5 Stars
Pacing: 2.5 Stars
Art: 4 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars

Marvel’s SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #29
I had to pick up this issue thanks to the inclusion of Miguel O’hara…Spider-Man 2099. I’m worried that when Peter comes back Doc Ock’s consciousness is going to go into O’hara. I’m not happy about this, and I hope they don’t pull that crap. Overall, this book was okay. I didn’t like the way Norman Osbourne seems all but all-powerful in New York City. Ock’s internal monologue and dialogue still bothers me, too. The only positive here is Spidey 2099. They did a good job with Miguel and his dialogue.
Storyline: 3 Stars
Dialogue: 3 Stars
Pacing: 3.5 Stars
Art: 3.5 Stars
Overall: 3 Stars

DC’s JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #13
I hear they are discontinuing this book, and I can’t say I’m surprised. I am, however, disappointed. This team had potential. But it didn’t get to have one single non-TRINITY WAR/FOREVER EVIL storyline. And it did not weather FOREVER EVIL well. Justice League and Justice League Dark did, but not JLA. It has been repetitive, focused on only two characters without much interesting said about either, and ultimately went nowhere. This book has just sucked. This issue is no different, and that is sad, because the characters involved originally really could’ve done something. DC really fouled this up.
Storyline: 1.5
Dialogue: 2.5
Pacing: 1
Art: 3.5
Overall: 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment