Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Quandry

I am working hard to reconcile the combat motif in scripture with the conviction that Creation as a whole is Good, a conviction that is central to my Christology and my understanding of the Trinity. I am convinced that the combat motif is supremely important. The idea that God created the universe out of a chaos-being has some deep truth that helps make sense of the world. But the idea that all God made is good, and that God made all of reality through Jesus Christ is equally important. There seems to be a contradiction here, or at least a competition of experiences. One possible thought: Christ redeemed the world to goodness, even as evil remained somewhere within it, as (pace St. Irenaeus), His taking on our human nature redeemed humanity even as sin remains a factor within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment